Tragedy of the Commons
What free resources around us are abused, overused or collapsing?
How can we restore these resources to a better state?
Planet Earth is a finite space ship. We must treat it with care. Students research overused, abused and collapsing public local resources, then create and present solutions to a rich audience.Get Started
Students Will Learn
- The meaning behind the metaphor, “Tragedy of the Commons”
- To recognize problems of shared resources
- How to conduct applied research, including interviewing and possible fieldwork.
- To use math modeling skills to consider the consequences of various actions
- Many "soft skills" required for 21st Century careers
Students Will Be Able To
- Work in small teams addressing a local problem of resource use, possible abuse, and corrective management
- Define problems, when there is no right or wrong answer
- Use math functions to solve problems of shared resources
- Compromise with team members to move forward in their work
- Organize and structure their approach
- Use data and interviews
- Present final results